Nightingale Awards of Pennsylvania is a non-profit organization that sponsors a scholarship program dedicated to supporting Pennsylvania residents who are pursuing a program of basic (LPN, Diploma, AD, BSN, BSN Completion) or advanced degree in nursing (Masters, Doctoral - DNP, DNS), and PhD education in a Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing approved program within an educational institution located in Pennsylvania. We will also accept applications from students attending nursing school online, but your intention must be to work as a nurse in Pennsylvania.
We invite qualified candidates to apply for scholarships that will be awarded in early Summer. Scholarships are available to be used for tuition, books, and/or educational fees. Scholarships will be awarded in the categories of Advanced Degree-Doctoral, Advanced Degree-Masters, BSN, BSN Completion, Diploma, LPN, Associate, and PhD (PhD applicants should complete a separate application).
Nightingale Awards of Pennsylvania hopes that it is your intent to practice nursing in Pennsylvania.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please Read Carefully
- Complete the Scholarship Application, including a Personal Statement of Commitment. Within the application, you are asked to provide statements about your professional leadership activities, special honors/awards, community/volunteer activities, and a paragraph about why you chose a career in nursing. This is your personal statement of commitment.
- Submit TWO letters of recommendation which address the selection criteria below (at least one letter must be from a nursing faculty member or program director). All letters of recommendation must have the applicant's name, as well as the address, telephone number, and email address of the person writing the recommendation.
NOTE: You are able to request letters of recommendation to be uploaded through the submission system, Submittable.
- Submit your transcript of grades that includes the most recently completed semester with the required course in nursing (unofficial transcript is acceptable). LPN Students: see note below*
- Submit a copy of your letter of acceptance or its equivalent into the nursing program with a beginning date being identified.
- To apply, you MUST be a resident of Pennsylvania.
- You must be enrolled in a Pennsylvania State Board-Approved Nursing Education Program. View the listing of approved programs.
- You must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- If TWO letters of recommendation are not present within the online application at the conclusion of the application window, the application will be considered incomplete and will not be considered.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, if you did not have face-to-face contact with a faculty member and have been receiving education only through virtual means within the past year, you can replace your required faculty letter of recommendation with a second professional reference from an employer or a faculty member who has taught you in the past.
- HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS MAY NOT APPLY. Unless you are an LPN student, you must be established in a nursing school during the application window and be able to provide your most recent transcript from nursing school as well as a letter of recommendation from a nursing school faculty member or program director.
- If you are in your first semester of nursing school during the scholarship application window, you can still apply. Just submit a partial transcript with your grades thus far and indicate in your narrative that you are in your first semester of nursing school.
- *LPN Students: if you are entering a program during the application window and have not yet received a GPA, we will consider your high school transcript, along with a letter of recommendation from a nursing school faculty member or program director, high school faculty member and/or a current employment supervisor, plus a personal letter of recommendation. You must be attending a Pennsylvania nursing program or graduate from the nursing program during the year in which you are applying for the scholarship.
- Professional Leadership
- Academic Achievement
- Leadership Potential
- Community Service
- Personal Commitment