The Nightingale Awards of Pennsylvania is a non-profit foundation sponsoring a scholarship program dedicated to supporting Pennsylvania residents who are pursuing a program of basic (LPN, Diploma, AD, BSN) or advanced degree in nursing (Masters, Doctoral) education in a Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing approved program within an educational institution located in Pennsylvania. The foundation invites qualified candidates to apply for scholarships that will be awarded in the Summer to be expended in the Fall semester (except for PhD awards that will be funded over the grant period). Scholarships are available to be used for tuition, books, and/or educational fees. The Nightingale Awards of Pennsylvania hope that it is your intent to practice nursing in Pennsylvania.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please Read Carefully
- Complete the PhD Scholarship Application, including Personal Statement of Commitment
- Submit 2 letters of recommendation, which address the selection criteria below (at least one letter MUST be from a PhD Advisor). All letters of recommendation must have applicant's name, as well as the address, telephone number, and email address of the person writing the recommendation.
NOTE: You are able to request letters of recommendation to be uploaded through Submittable's system.
- Submit your transcript of grades that includes the most recently completed semester and includes the required course in nursing (unofficial transcript is acceptable).
- Submit a copy of your letter of acceptance or its equivalent into the PhD nursing program with a beginning date being identified.
- Submit an abstract summarizing your proposal.
- Submit a one-page budget for your project.
- Submit evidence that your proposal has been reviewed and approved by an established ethical review board at the institution or site where you plan to conduct the study. Include appropriate support letters.
- Submit the completed signature page. Download it here. You will need to obtain signatures from your Advisor, Program Chair and Institutional Representative OR Financial Officer. You will then upload the completed signature form, where indicated, toward the bottom of this online submission form. We recommend that you print your completed application (just prior to submitting - you are able to save a draft to complete later) and bring it with you when asking for signatures so that the person is able to review your application prior to signing.
- Professional Leadership
- Academic Achievement
- Leadership Potential
- Community Service
- Personal Commitment
- Significance/Impact of Research
- To apply, you MUST be a resident of Pennsylvania and attending a Pennsylvania nursing school.
- If BOTH letters of recommendation are not present within the online application at the conclusion of the application window, the application will be considered incomplete and will not be considered.
- Each project may only be submitted for one award per funding cycle.